Here's what we've been up to over the month of May 2023.
1. Wine Club: We made only 29 cases of a super special wine to share with club members in their June 2023 pack. This project, a combination of two sparkling winemaking styles, is 2 and half years in the making. If Traditional Method and Pet-Nat had a love child, the 2021 Trad-Nat would be it. If you want to get your hands on this micro-lot be sure to join the club before June 19th!
2. Vineyard: Budbreak began slowly, but as our vines saw their first glimpse of sun, May became a month of rapid growth. Shoots are already reaching for the first wire as we thin them, and we are starting to see the first flowers form on our baby clusters. The healthy green foliage has returned to the vista, and native flora dance in our breezy slopes at their feet. The team spent a week spreading compost along the trunks of each vines to help boost microbial life after a cold winter and revitalize the health, structure and water retention of our soils.
3. Cellar: Seb and the cellar team tasted, blended, racked, scrubbed and on May 15th and 16th welcomed the Artus bottling truck to the winery to bottle up our 2022 vintages. We revamped the wine labels to include vineyard names on the front of the bottles, which you will see next year as these new treausres are released. Stay tuned!
5. Congratulations: Our team was delighted and honoured to host the first wedding of the season mid-May for one of our dear club member Lori McDowell's daughter and, now, son-in-law. A sweet ceremony of 115 guests gathered among the vines unravelled into a wholesome but wild winery after-party. The day was filled with love and mirth, a full and exuberant dance floor, and a cake so stunning it would make even the most steel-hearted person cry tears of real joy. Congratulations on your nuptials Meghan and Drake! We wish you every happiness in your marriage and life together and we can't wait to pop bottles on your anniversary!
6. Partnerships: Our 2021 Viognier had a second course spotlight on a noteworthy Asian Heritage Dinner in Vancouver the last week of May. The coastal-inspired menu was brilliantly designed by Wine Director Anna Collard and talented Chef Deseree Lo of the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts. Stay tuned to @PICAchef. They will also be spearheading a cool new pop-up on Granville Island that is set to feature our 2022 Rose Pet-Nat.
7. Events: The next event coming up is the Summer Solstice Social on Wednesday, June 21st. Come join us mid-week for wine, lawn games, fire and an open-air movie on the lawn paired with bougie popcorn made by the creative minds from Cocktails and Canapes. Order tickets here: /product/Solstice-Party-Ticket
8. Ciao Bella: Ron and Tracy are overseas, exploring central Italy’s famous wine regions, expanding their palates, gathering new ideas for our winery and sharing Lightning Rock library wines with fellow connoisseurs. If you miss Tracy's contagious laugh and Ron's quick wit as much as we do, come by the winery for a tasting mid-June and give them a warm welcome home.
9. Tasting Room: Electric screens were installed around the tasting room patio. Their design ensures everyone can see out to the picturesque view and mother nature's wonderf, but they will help keep the wind and sun at bay for a more enjoyable sipping experience.
10. Let's Connect: Follow us on social media! Take a peak into our cellar activities, follow us through the season of vineyard work and be the first to learn of exciting new releases, events and partnerships. @lightningrockwinery